Women and Children; to the Victors the Spoils















Been spending alot of time over the last 4-5 months with the Evans/Cates/Sullivan Family.  This conglomerate of appellidos is just an individually descriptive way of saying many lineages, one household. Mama China is a sister to me; her children are my God-Daughters.  The girl's father passed away on Christmas some years ago, and that is is private and complicated story.  In the meantime, they've kept their feet running solidly over ground.  They now live with my Mum, in her rambling, shambly folk victorian on Pettway Ave.  When I'm in Knoxville visiting it's total emersion into the frenetic world of women and children.  Kids running everywhere, with questions slinging through the air; loaded with the potential for a fit from someone.  I love it,  they're all three total drama queens and pose madly, with abandon, all the time.  As a person who hesitates when approaching others, in particular with a creative context, I'm learning alot about the joy others emanate when included (even if it's an event my whiplash ego deems "not good enough").    It's turning into quite a suite of photos.

I'm trying to wrap around some vague baroque impression of family;  what makes it tic, how we choose who we care for; who we would change for, adapt to, invite in.