Walgreens clinic

Again, the deplorable state of healthcare.  I get fever blisters, have since before I can remember.  I.m that dirty scabby kid from elementary school.  Anyways, every other country I have visited or lived in graciously allows me to know my own life condition and simply ask the pharmacist for the appropriate medicine ( usually about 5-10$).  Unfortunately, here in my home country; I must first pay a doctor to poke and prod me (65-75$; walgreens clinic) and then the price of the medication (double what I paid in both Korea and Costa Rica; where I have experience deaing with the problem while abroad). This is ridiculous.
200$ and 2 hours later, I emerge with 2 doses of an anti-viral medication, which has no street value whatsoever and will not get me high.  The doctor told me that the reason I must obtain a prescription is because some people abuse it, and the virus is mutating and becoming (much like bacterial infections) more resistant.  Meanwhile, the dose prescribed to me is triple the amount I have taken (with effective results) in the past.  Is resistance not caused by overmedicating; then not continuing to take the same high dose?  I'm no doctor nor nurse.
And by the way, why do bad weeks seem like months?